It’s hard. Whenever I’m home, I have to perform this weird balancing act. I stay out all night with my friends, and wake up WAY too early (been up since 5:30 today) to hang out with my mom and walk the dog. That being said, my mother usually rattles off an insane to-do list, so it helps to be up early. Today, for example:
– drop the dog off to be bathed and have her nails clipped (we call this Audrey’s spa day)
– drive 90 minutes to Raleigh for 1 hour work meeting
– make it back by 11:30, stop at the curb market for collards
– haircut at noon
– pick up dog and deliver her home
– shop for remaining (read: ALL) thanksgiving groceries, after determinging whether my cousin and her family will be over (18 lb turkey vs. 14 lb)
– begin pie making for neighbors, mum’s friends
– make sister vacuum, dust, and make a pumpkin cheesecake
My mom has been working on our kitchen for a few years and finally gotten it almost perfect. There’s a butcher block table, a baker’s rack with the nicrowave and all the cook books, and lovely marble counters. So it is an absolute joy to cook in- not to mention that we have almost every thing you could want in a kitchen, short of a mini torch (and I’ve been working on that).
However, there are so many things I love to eat when I go home- Cheerwine, Bear Rock Cafe, Bojangles, Chick-fil-a, Stamey’s, Cook-Out, Biscuitville, Pastabilities, Bill’s Pizza, Krispy Kreme, Bruegger’s, Ghassan’s. Some of these things are available in DC (Bojangles, Krispy Kreme, Chick-fil-a, Brueggers), so they’re a little lower on the priority list.
I’ve worked out a plan. I had Cook-Out Sunday afternoon, and Bear Rock for lunch and Pastabilities with my mom for dinner. Today, I’m going to pick up some Biscuitville for breakfast, and maybe grab Ghassan’s for lunch. I have to go to the farmer’s market later today and might grab a snack there (and probably lots of other things I don’t need.) When my grandparents get in Wednesday, they’re going to want Stamey’s, so I can hold off on that, and when my aunt and the girls come in later, they’ll want Bill’s Pizza. I’m taking the girls to see Bolt on Friday, so maybe we can have lunch at Chick-fil-a.
Ugh, there’s no way I’m going to be able to fit into my birthday dress. I’m going to fast all next week.